Friday, February 14, 2014

“…Anything less than six hours—hurts women more than it does men” – Thanks, CNN!

I just had to use that quote from an article I read on cnn.com yesterday. You might be wondering why I started off this post with a quote from an article on heart health. Well, February is Heart Month in America. One of the things our hearts and brains need to function better is sleep. I have been taking Luminosity’s training exercises for the past 12 days and it’s been interesting to see how much better I’ve gotten as the days go by (most of those days).

My score on the first day of training was not great. I blame that on the medium being new to me. My speed, identification and retention of elements spiked up after that and I was on a continuous rise for days after that. However, three days ago, my sleep patterns changed. I slept late and woke up early. My Brain Performance Index stalled for the first time. Today, I even got less sleep, I feel grumpy, and I’m rocking a slight headache. My BPI dipped by 15 points L


On the good days, I noticed that I was paying attention to more than one thing because of the games Luminosity offered me. I would look out for birds and letters shown on different parts of the screen at the same time. I got to solve math problems given to me in raindrops that went down on my screen in seconds, and I also had to memorize patterns and repeat what I had seen on the screen.

I can therefore state that the daily use of activities offered by Luminosity helped me, and could help many other users memorize important facts, increase task speed and accuracy and solve problems. One of the instances when those activities might not help might involve sleep deprivation. Maybe someone needs to find out if a sleep-deprived woman’s cognitive processes slow down more than it does in a sleep-deprived male.

And so in honor of American Heart Month, y’all get some sleep!



Reference
Christensen, J. (2014, February 13). Women: 5 ways to protect your heart. Retrieved from http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/13/health/women-heart-health/index.html?sr=fb021314womanhearthealth2p



No comments:

Post a Comment